Kerala Kadala curry is a very popular and traditional dish of Kerala.Kadala curry goes well not only with appam and puttu but also with dosa, idiyappam, chapathi and poori.. It is so easy to prepare and tastes great.black chickpeas being a good source of proteins, this curry is nutritious and healthy.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Kerala Black Channa Curry - Kondakadalai Curry Recipe
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Cuisine : South Indian - Kerala
- Black channa / kondakadali - 1 cup
- Small onion / shallots - 10 - 15
- Tomato - 1 big size
- Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
To Roast & Grind:
- Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Red chilly - 2 - 4
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera / Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Few curry leaves
- First rinse and then soak the black chickpeas water for 8 to 9 hours or overnight.
- Here’s a pic of the soaked black chickpeas. you can also use white chickpeas instead of black chickpeas.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas for 9 to 10 whistles or more till they are tender and cooked through.
- I usually do not throw away the soaked water of black chickpeas,reserve the stock and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add the ingredients listed under 'to roast & grind'.
- Roast till nicely browned to a darker shade.Then transfer it to a mixer,add little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- In a kadai heat oil add tomatoes and onions, fry till mushy and raw smell of tomatoes leave.
- Then add red chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala powders.
- Add the ground coconut paste (add water it its too thick) and cook for a few minutes.
- Then heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds once its splutter, add jeera and curry leaves and mix it with curry, let it boil for another 2 mins and turn off the flame.
- Now delicious channa curry is ready to serve.
- Enjoy with idiyappam or tiffen.