This Onion Garlic Chutney recipe is a perfect balance of flavors. The sweetness of the onions is balanced by the sourness from the tamarind and spice from the red chilies. If.If you use a little bit more oil than mentioned in the recipe, this chutney will keep very well 2-3 days, and thus is ideal for travel.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Onion Garlic Chutney - வெங்காயம் பூண்டு சட்னி
Cooking time: 20 mins
Cuisine: South Indian
- Shallots/ small Onion - 10 - 15
- Garlic - 5 - 7
- Red chilly - 5 - 7
- Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Few curry leaves
- Soak the red chilly in hot water for 15 mins, set aside.
- In a blender, add soaked red chilly, tamarind and garlic grind it in semi fine paste with little water and transfer into the bowl.
- Then add the shallots and grind it in coarse paste. (Note :This chutney should be in coarse consistency). and transfer into the bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds once its splutter add curry leaves and transfer the grind-ed mixture to the kadai and saute it well with enough salt.
- Cook the chutney till thick consistency and turn off the flame.
- Serve with idly/ dosa.
- We can keep and use this chutney for 3 days.
- This chutney is Very apt for travelling.
- This chutney should be in coarse consistency.
- If chutney is too spicy or hot, you could add very little oil and serve.