A traditional South Indian meal is never incomplete without sambar.This is a very easy to make yet tasty sambar that has been one of my favorite recipe.Sambar powder and a pinch of asafoetida is enough to make it flavorful and delicious recipe.This versatile dish can be served with steamed rice or as a side dish for Idly, dosa or Pongal.Okras / lady’s finger taste great when added to sambar.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Vendakkai Sambar Recipe
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Cuisine: South Indian
- Vendakai / Lady's finger sambar - 10 - 12
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Thin tamarind pulp- 1/8 cup
- Toor dal - 1/2 cup
- Sambar powder - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Few coriander leaves
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing - a pinch
- Few curry leaves
- Heat kadai and add the cut ladies finger and fry with oil, until black spots appear over its ridges and the slimy thing disappears.
- Add more oil if needed. Fry in medium flame, stir occasionally in between to avoid burning.
- Wash and soak dal for 10 mins,
- Meanwhile peel and slice onion, slit green chilies, chop tomato, cut okra in 1 inch length.
- Pressure cook dal with 1 cup water with turmeric powder for 4 whistles or until cooked.
- Allow pressure to release and mash dal, keep aside.
- soak tamarind in 1 cup water and extract juice from tamarind.
- While dal getting cooked and cooker to release pressure we can proceed with rest
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.
- Then add small onion, tomato and saute till raw smell of tomato leaves
- Add ladies finger along with turmeric powder and sambar powder.Saute for 2mins.Add required salt.
- Then add cooked dal along with little water and let it boil in low medium flame until ladies finger is cooked.
- Now add tamarind water and let it boil for 5mins in low flame.Add chopped coriander leaves generously and switch off.
- Serve hot or warm with steamed rice.
- Delicious Vendakkai sambar is ready.
- Sambar should be neither thick nor runny, its depending upon your taste.
- Adding ghee to sambar adds more taste and flavour to the sambar.
- Adding sambar powder and frying along with veggie gives a nice flavour.
- You can add any vegetable for this sambar.